Saturday, June 16

Dark Frost (Mythos academy #3)

Dark Frost (Mythos Academy #3)
Jennifer Estep

Publication Date: May 29, 2012
Finish Date: June 15, 2012
Format: Paperback


From Goodreads: I’ve seen so many freaky things since I started attending Mythos Academy last fall. I know I’m supposed to be a fearless warrior, but most of the time, I feel like I’m just waiting for the next Bad, Bad Thing to happen. Like someone trying to kill me—again.

Everyone at Mythos Academy knows me as Gwen Frost, the Gypsy girl who uses her psychometry magic to find lost objects—and who just may be dating Logan Quinn, the hottest guy in school. But I’m also the girl the Reapers of Chaos want dead in the worst way. The Reapers are the baddest of the bad, the people who murdered my mom. So why do they have it in for me?

It turns out my mom hid a powerful artifact called the Helheim Dagger before she died. Now, the Reapers will do anything to get it back. They think I know where the dagger is hidden, but this is one thing I can’t use my magic to find. All I do know is that the Reapers are coming for me—and I’m in for the fight of my life.
This book is my favourite in this series so far. It starts off very unexpected with lots of action and it keeps actionpacked for the rest of the book. And the story is so predictable at times, but this book also had so many nice twists.

Overall I just really enjoy reading this series, probably also because I really like Jennifer Esteps writing style. I just want to keep reading, although sometimes I do have issues with some things that happen. The story isn't all that special, but mostly the writing style makes up for it. And I think it is just an enjoyable story.

The characters are great as always. I really like Gwen, but I think she makes some stupid mistake in the rest of this series. In this book we really see Gwen grow and I started liking her so much more. We see more of her inner strenght, especially at the end of the book. The book mainly focusses on Gwen, we do get to see some more of the other characters just like in the other books, but it's obvious the focus is on Gwen. I would if we got some more information about Daphne in this book, I think she got a little too less attention in this book. We are also introduced to a great new character in this book, I am not going to say more about it because I don't want to spoil it. In this book I also realized how much I like Vic, the talking sword. He actually is just another character, although one who can't move on it's own.

Also we get to see more of Loki's champion in this book, and actually I was a bit disapointed because she really is just a stereotypical bad character with evil ideas who does what the evil god LOki wants. I would've liked it if there was some more depth to her, she just wasn't an interesting villian.

This book is so much more actionpacked and more darker than the previous books. I think the title really fits this book, the theme of this book get's more darker than the first two books. While there is more action, there is less romance. I wish that the romance would finally progress some more, but the romance progresses very slowly.

To conclude: so far the best book in this series. This book is more actionpacked and the theme is a bit darker than the first two books. I also started liking Gwen much more in this book, she really shows her inner strenght. I do think the side characters got a bit too less attention.


2 comments:

  1. Wow, best book of the series? What a compliment! My ARC is still sitting on my shelf and I NEEEED to find the time for it. Interested to see how the storyline progresses. The romance is very slow to start with so when you say it's even slower in Dark Frost.... O____O Oh dear. I'm looking forward to reading this though! Great review :)

    Lisa | Read Me Bookmark Me Love Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, finding time to read a certain book really is a problem sometimes. I am now following your blog, I am looking forward to reading your review of dark frost.
    btw I am not sure if the romance actually is slower than in the first two books, but it certainly is too slow for my taste :P.

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment